Ocon, who began twelfth, completed the race in eighth place, two spots behind his teammate Daniel Ricciardo.
After the flag his engineer congratulated him on gaining 4 locations and contributing to a superb factors haul for the staff, however Ocon replied, “I disagree, I think we missed out completely in this race, there was a massive opportunity.”
He was then advised: “Just hold it on the radio, hold it on the radio, we’ll talk about it in the office, thank you.”
When he replied, “No, we have to face the reality,” staff boss Cyril Abiteboul chimed in and mentioned, “This is not the place.”
Ocon then mentioned nothing for the rest of the lap again to parc ferme.
Later when requested concerning the feedback, he did not blame the staff, however prompt that circumstances hadn’t labored in his favour.
“I think reviewing it, it’s just the luck that was not on our side today,” he mentioned. “I think in terms of execution and taking a decision, I think we’ve been doing the right thing.
“If clearly, we stayed out, we did not take the protection automobile, issues may have occurred, however all-in-all if the pink flag does not come, we lose time.
“Reviewing it, I think overall it was a good race. It’s a shame that obviously we pitted in those circumstances, and those things happened, but luck will turn around.”
The Frenchman was one in every of solely three drivers who modified to the mushy tyre in the course of the pink flag break, together with the 2 Alfa Romeo drivers, however solely as a result of the mediums that he would have most popular to make use of had been lower than temperature and thus could not be used.
After the resumption, Ocon quickly misplaced efficiency and struggled to maintain up with the automobiles forward, and finally completed eighth, two locations behind staff mate Daniel Ricciardo, having been handed by Lewis Hamilton within the closing laps.
“Of course we had in mind to get a good start with those soft tyres,” he mentioned when requested by Motorsport.com concerning the pink flag tyre alternative.
“Unfortunately, my medium set was not ready to go. So we couldn’t choose it. Otherwise we would have done so.
“It was superb tempo the primary two laps. But on the third lap, it did degrade fairly considerably, and I used to be not clearly so glad concerning the stability, and the way issues have advanced after that.
“I think if we had to do it again we would have taken the medium, but they were not ready and in condition.
“They dropped temperature so clearly there was a little bit of a delay to wrap them up, so one thing we are able to evaluation.”